Open GI is a leading software development company and a trusted partner to the general insurance industry. Based across the UK and Europe, our support and development services make us a truly diverse organisation that offers a range of IT solutions to insurance brokers, insurers and managing general agents.
- Leads a team to successfully deliver to stakeholder expectations. Responsible for ensuring the delivery team maintains the agreed standards for quality, scalability, security, and robustness. Sets the example for technical best practices.
- Mentors and coaches technical team members to grow their skills.
- Leading cross-functional product delivery teams
- Provides technical leadership, and advocates and implements improvements in working practices within the team.
- Acts as a coach and mentor, providing support and advice to other members of the team.
- Continuously aware of emerging technological trends and propose and implement new solutions and industry standard techniques.
- Enhances the scalability and performance of Open GI systems
- Balances delivery of new product features against technical debt / evolving architecture
- Pairs with Product Owners, Project Managers, Business Analysts, Architects, Developers and QAs to establish and implement requirements and/or resolve live operational issues
- Collaborates across teams contributing to a holistic view of the whole platform
Your key responsibilities
- Getting code into production: ability to get code of all types – including new features, configuration changes, bug fixes and experiments – into production, or into the hands of users, safely and quickly in a sustainable way.
- Test Driven Development: designs and develops tests to specify and validate what the code will do with the goal to make the code clearer, simple and bug-free.
- Performance and scalability engineering: ability to assess, recommend, design, implement, optimise, and troubleshoot measures to ensure systems perform as needed. This includes responsiveness, coping with traffic load, coping with large data sets, and processing times.
- Ability to write, maintain and design the business logic of a software application, the data or services requested are available, as well as create and maintain the core databases, data and application program interfaces (APIs) to other backend processes.
- Collaboration: works jointly with others to co-create and achieve a common goal. This includes learning, practicing and experimenting with tools, techniques and frameworks that foster collaborative working environments. Acts as an enabler to a group of people who share a common vision, goals, metrics and who collaborate, challenge and hold each other accountable, to achieve outstanding results.
- Continuous integration: ability to write code in a way that supports continuous integration of code, that is, frequently committing changes to a single trunk or master.
- Continuous delivery/deployment: ability to use techniques to support continuous delivery or deployment of new functionality
- Estimation: ability to apply various estimation techniques to predict the most realistic amount of effort required to develop or maintain software based on incomplete, uncertain and noisy input.
- Ability to guide the team in the design, creation and evolution of user-facing applications to be scalable, maintainable, secure, aesthetic and usable within the constraints imposed by the browser using a combination of languages, design skills and client-side scripts and frameworks.
- Securing applications: ability to design and implement software which exhibits good security properties, and which avoids common weaknesses and vulnerabilities.
- Clean code: applies state-of-art practices of software design and programming. The understanding of the principles, patterns and practices of writing clean code that is easy to evolve.
- Legacy remediation: ability to operate in or around older systems, and devise and execute strategies for modernising and improving them. This includes awareness of a range of legacy architectures and the patterns and tactics for the stabilisation, remediation, or replacement of them. The ability to analyse the technical, business, and operational pain-points of applications and broader systems. Identifying incremental steps towards a future state architecture, including techniques for stabilising with test.
- Emotional intelligence: recognises, understands, and manages their own emotions and recognises, understands, shares and influences the emotions of others.
- Requirement analysis and articulation: ability to use relevant artifacts, approaches and processes to understand and communicate what is required and when it is required.
- Effective communication: ability to address different messages and different audiences in a customised manner not only to achieve clear communication, but also to provoke the desired action when necessary.
- Agile and Lean principles: works with team to continuously improve their Agile approach by guiding and championing Lean and Agile principles for achieving quality, adaptability, speed and alignment. This includes the practices, techniques and tools that support those principles, and an understanding of when things may or may not be applicable in a situation or context.
- Giving and receiving feedback solicits and engages with feedback on a continuous basis. Has timely, actionable, and meaningful conversations about performance for the purpose of shaping behaviours and fostering learning, with the goal of strengthening confidence and improving the effectiveness of self and others.
- Coaching and mentoring fellow team members: able to build authentic relationships by involving individuals and effectively sharing information to empower development. Closely works with fellow colleagues to support decision making processes, resolve problems and develop skills and capabilities.
- Outwardly Looking: Proactively seeks ways to improve own experience and knowledge and to close any gaps.
- Pursues activities that stretch and develop skills. Keeps up to date on new information, role-specific and industry news.
- Capable of owning a whole sub-system with the platform
What you’ll need to succeed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science and Informatics or relative experience in the industry
- Cloud Certification advantageous
- Excellent English both written and spoken
- 5+ years of software development experience, 2+ years of technical leadership experience
- Experience of working with evolving architectures
- Experience of cloud-native architecture
- Experience working with Extreme Programming methods
- Experience working within a cross-functional delivery team
- Experience supporting their code running in a production environment
- Experience supporting, mentoring, and developing people
- Communicating and influencing
- Continuous improvement
- Working with others
- Customer focus
- Responding to change
- Problem solving
- Drives to outcomes: focuses on results and desired outcomes and how best to achieve them. Able to execute plans through to action. Persistent to complete tasks and a strong commitment to take action that moves things along to ensure delivery of objectives.
- Ownership and accountability: takes personal accountability and ownership for their work. This includes personal follow through, making and defending difficult decisions and trade-offs, removing blockers, driving collective progress.
- Continuous improvement: advances by ongoing, incremental improvement through continuous learning, questioning the status quo and trying out creative and novel ideas. Shows curiosity and has a keen interest to drive learning for themselves and others.
- Improving CI/CD practices: suggests improvements to existing practices in the team so that there is an uplift in the quality of the product. Able to research new tools to enhance, measure and visualise quality, and implement them with the team’s support. Recognise the cause for falls in quality and takes actions to rectify them.
Mission and Values
Our mission is to be both the Technology Partner and Employer of choice for the UK General Insurance Market. Our values are central to this vision, as they represent how we collaborate how we work together in synergy and continually deliver for our customers:
- Accountability: We take personal pride in finding solutions and achieving results
- Innovation: We lead the market by being proactive, product-led and forward thinking
- Teamwork: We work collaboratively, recognising and celebrating success
- Trust: We build trust on integrity, transparency and respect
We are looking for an individual who embraces our values in their actions, decisions, communications and processes to inspire positivity and, ultimately, exceptional performance.
- Competitive salary depending on skills and experience
- Positive, friendly and fun working environment
- Support for personal and professional development
- Daily lunches and additional benefits
- Private health insurance package
- Referral bonuses
- Social events
- Flexible working hours
You can also apply on [email protected]
Find us on: